Single day | tour extension destination | Uganda
Located 35km east of Kampala, Ssezibwa Falls are found in district of Mukono on the way to Jinja home to the source of the river Nile. This is a perfect break on your Jinja and eastern Uganda destination tour. What welcomes you is the presence of birds singing, sometimes by primates and the calmness of the waterfall but with an authentic sound only fulfilling cool weather even on a hot day surrounded by a patch of forest.
It is a Buganda cultural heritage site. Believed by the natives that the river is actually a twin baby born together with Bwanda as she was on her way to Kavuma. Because of this belief, the falls are one of the most spiritual and cultural centers where many natives flock for blessings, wealth, and fortunes. A Care taker (traditional healer) performs ceremonies for those seeking love, children, a successful business deal or a good harvest.
The Falls are on the Ssezibwa River which flows from the wetlands between L. Victoria and L. Kyoga. Ssezibwa Falls are about seven meters high and with the sweet hissing sound created by the falling water forms beautiful scenery.
This is complemented by the natural vegetation cover and the undulating and steep rocks over which the waters fall. The site has several bird species which present a wonderful opportunity for bird watching.
A hike around the waterfalls takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour good enough to stretch your legs from a car so ideal and rewarding with the history and help of a site guide.
Things To Do
- Bird Watching
- Short Ssezibwa falls Hike that takes between 45 minutes to 1 hour. This is a mild short walk usually conducted by a site guide who takes you through the history of the falls, the area and sometimes referring to Buganda Kingdom. It does not require any level of fitness or age. It is good and safe for families with children but needs simple comfortable hiking shoes since it involves some mild climbing and sloping down rugged pathways. It is a nice way to get out of the car and stretch your legs in enjoyment. It is also not scheduled and can be determined by your driver guide depending on the distance you will have to cover in the car to your next destination.
- It can be accessed by Road from Kampala
- Kampala city (35 km. 45 minutes to 1 hour drive)
- Jinja home of source of the River Nile, White water Rafting and Bungee Jumping (45 km, 1 hour drive)
- Siipi Falls (177 km or 2 hours’ drive through Mbale town)
- Pian-Upe Wildlife reserve home to cheetah and Roane Antelope ( 260 km or 3-4 hour drive)
Recommended duration of stay
This is usually an extension for Jinja source of the Nile visit, the hike takes between 45 minutes to 1 hour. Depending on interests of the visitors, one hour should be enough to visit the facility also depending on what your African safari guide has recommended.